As the child abuse and neglect prevention agency for Androscoggin County, AFC provides valuable resources and guidance to professionals working with children, parents, and caregivers. We can focus consultations, training or workshops on various topics including child abuse and neglect, child development and behaviors, parenting support, professional development opportunities, and community resources.
Infant Safe Sleep and Period of Purple Crying Training
60-minute training appropriate for any professional who supervises staff working with infants and direct care staff or anyone parenting or working with infants. Topics include:
- Current Safe Sleep recommendations
- Preventing Abusive Head Trauma (formerly referred to as Shaken Baby Syndrome)
- Preventing Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Typical development and Infant Crying
- Managing constant crying in infants
Mandated Reporter Training
A mandated reporter is someone who is legally required to report suspected abuse or neglect of a child. You are mandated to file a report of suspected abuse or neglect of a child when:
- Your occupation is included in the law
- You become aware of the suspected abuse or neglect while you are acting in a professional or caregiving capacity
- You have a reasonable cause to suspect that a child has been or is likely to be abused or neglected.
The Mandated Reporter Training is a 2-hour, state-approved training for anyone who cares for or works with children and families. Topics include:
- The state’s focus regarding the responsibilities of mandated reporters
- The types of abuse and risk factors
- How to manage disclosures
- How to make a report of suspected abuse
Nurturing Caregiver and Parenting Program Training
The philosophy of the Nurturing Parenting Programs emphasize the importance of raising children in a warm, trusting, and caring household. It is founded on the belief that children who are cared for develop the capacity to trust, care, and respect themselves, other people, living creatures, and the environment. The philosophy of Nurturing Parenting is founded on seven principles:
- Feelings of Attachment
- Nurturing Oneself
- Gentle Touch
- Expressing Feelings
- Expectations and Self-Worth
Nurturing Caregiving Training
2-hour, interactive training provides an overview of the philosophy supporting Nurturing Parenting and Caregiving and is for any professional working with and supporting families. Topics include:
- Positive and negative nurturing and the impact on development
- Spices: human needs
- Thinking, feeling and conscious meaning
- Protective factors to support and strengthen families
Nurturing Parenting Program Facilitator Training
3-day training reviews the philosophy and goals of the Nurturing Parenting Programs and how to implement and facilitate programs within your community. Appropriate for any professional who has a passion for working with children and families.
The Nurturing Parenting Programs are recognized by the National Registry of Effective Programs and Practices (NREPPP), the Substance Abuse –Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP).
Strengthening Maine Families
This 1.5-hour training supports professionals who work with children and families. Rather than giving advice, this approach builds and enhances trusting relationships between providers and parents. Participants will learn more about how to:
- Help parents be empowered as the experts on their own children
- Listen openly to parent concerns and ideas
- Work together with parents to find answers to questions and concerns about child development
Strengthening Maine Families is grounded in the research that recognizes how children develop and has identified six protective factors that strengthen every growing family:
- Parental Resilience: taking care of self and learning to manage stress.
- Social Connections: creating natural parent supports.
- Knowledge of Parenting and Child Development: understanding leads to better parenting.
- Concrete Support in Times of Need: learning where to go when parents need help.
- Social and Emotional Competence of Children: helping children to communicate effectively and understanding how to support children’s development.
- Healthy Parent-Child Relationships: giving children the love and respect they need unconditionally.
The Strengthening Maine Families training is recognized by Maine roads to Quality.
Ongoing Trainings and Professional Development Opportunities
We regularly conduct training and in-services on the following topics:
- Personal Body Safety
- Sexual Abuse
- Sexual Harassment
- Risk Factors (ACEs), Protective Factors and Resiliency
To request training for a group or your staff (including Infant Safe Sleep/ Period of Purple Crying, Mandated Reporter Training, Nurturing Caregiving and Parenting, Strengthening Maine Families and general ongoing professional development), please call 783.3990 or email email@example.com and provide the following information:
Agency/ Company Name
Type of Training
Proposed Dates/ Times
Expected # of attendees
Healthy Androscoggin seeks to build healthy communities and lifestyles by promoting five main goals: supporting tobacco-free lifestyles, preventing youth substance use, encouraging physical activity, promoting healthy eating, and preventing childhood lead poisoning.
Healthy Children is the only parenting website backed by 60,000 pediatricians committed to the attainment of optimal physical, mental, and social health and well-being for all infants, children, adolescents, and young adults.